Lethbridge Alpha House Stabilization Shelter
The Lethbridge Alpha House Shelter provides a dedicated and tailored program to meet the unique needs of individuals under the influence of substances. The program support model combines harm reduction, withdrawal management and relationship-focused supports.
Covid-19 Response in Lethbridge:
Alpha House received a grant to take on full operation of the Shelter in Lethbridge, AB. Our main priority since we began full operations has been to develop and implement protocols to prevent an outbreak of Covid-19 within the population we serve in Lethbridge. We have undertaken new health and safety measures to protect staff and clients, including the following:
- Opened an overflow Shelter so as to be able to abide by social distancing rules in both buildings (with a capacity of 60 individuals)
- Spaced out all mats at least 2 metres apart and positioned clients head to toe
- Equipped staff with appropriate personal protective equipment and proper training to utilize it effectively
- Implemented new rules to screen clients prior to entry for covid-19 symptoms, spray hands with disinfectant and provide fresh clothing where needed
- Partnered with other social serving agencies in the city to provide a coordinated response to the pandemic
Main Shelter Services:
- Immediate safe shelter for withdrawal management with onsite supervision
- Triage and assessment for referral to other programs/providers—connection to case management, detox, treatment, addiction/mental health, cultural supports, housing, etc.
- Rapport building to develop trust, relationship with staff
- Showers, food, and laundry
- Relapse prevention