We offer a wide range of outreach services aimed at engaging clients into services, but also to reduce the impact of intoxication and homelessness on the broader community and public systems.
Downtown Outreach Addictions Partnership (DOAP) Team
- Initiated in 2005 as a mobile diversion response to streel level intoxication
- Consists of three mobile teams and one team dedicated to City Transit platforms (Main Team, Beltline Team, and Downtown Team)
- Works closely with Calgary Police Services and Emergency Medical Services to reduce unnecessary and inappropriate uses of these services
- Responds to calls from businesses, community members, and other homeless-serving agencies
- Facilitates individual’s access and entry to the local service systems of shelters, health care, addiction treatment, and supportive housing
- Last year the DOAP Program conducted 20,759 transports.
The team also raises awareness and builds understanding in the community with respect to homelessness and addiction through presentations with community members, businesses, and community associations. The program provides a model of how to engage with vulnerable persons. A social return on investment (SROI) demonstrated that for every dollar invested in the DOAP Program, there is a social return of $9.43.
unique clients served by the DOAP Team b/w Jan 2020 – Dec 2020
of referrals for the DOAP Team came from CPS and EMS b/w Jan 2020 – Dec 2020
of services the DOAP Transit Team provided in FY19-20 were case management
- Consists of one mobile response team working with the City of Calgary Bylaw
- Support “rough sleepers” to navigate them into appropriate supports including shelter, detox, and housing programs
- Provide clients with access to the shelter clinic, lunch, sleeping bags…etc.
Needle Response Team
- Began in January 2019
- Consists of one mobile response unit cleaning up needle and needle debris on public and private property
- Patrols “hot spots” looking for needle debris
- Responds to calls from community/business members to safely dispose of needle/needle debris
- Gives presentations to educate the public on how to safely dispose of needles and needle debris
Needle Disposal Sessions delivered in FY19-20
Needle debris collected in FY19-20